Zchill in his natural habitat; animation.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

In Bruges and Ground Rules.

"Hey Zchill I read the title, what gives?"



Listen random voice in my head representing my imaginary audience, I can't go around watching movies in theaters all the time. I'm not made of money. Instead, I'm going to be reviewing movies that I rent and since I just rented In Bruges that's the movie I'm blogging about (Deal with it!). Furthermore, I'm going to get pretty eclectic in what I review to match my taste in movies. If you don't like it go to another movie blog.

Are we all good now? Okay...

With all the complaints out of the way, I did rent In Bruges, since I had never seen it before, and honestly enjoyed it. It's a dark British comedy and it makes Colin Farrell sympathetic. Which is quite a feat for such a douchebag. It's like making Dane Cook likable. Personal tangent aside, it's hard to place why the movie is funny, or really to classify it's style of humor, it's dark certainly, but the situations the characters get themselves into seem natural and the humor derives from how surreal the situation is Ralph "Voldemort" Fiennes is actually funny-- not something you would expect from someone primarily known for being intense like Schindler's List or The English Patient-- and along with Colin Farrell acting like he's not a douche, (I don't mean to rag on the guy, but come on), makes for an enjoyable movie There was a movie in the same vein released a few years ago called You Kill Me starring Ben Kingsley, which has a pretty similar story, but something about In Bruges clicks where You Kill Me falls short. I'm going to call that "something" the story, in both movies you have an assassin/hitman who goes through personal troubles (funny!) and tries to cope with them. Ben Kingsley was really the only good thing about the movie-- the rest is entirely forgettable. Watch In Bruges and skip You Kill Me.

Assassin/hitman comedy -- is that a genre now? I think it might be, let's see Grosse Point Blank would definitely be in the same family. Further, wasn't A Shot in the Dark about killing gone wrong? I looked it up and it doesn't quite fit as the main character is looking for the murderer, but comedy + murders = it's inclusion here.

Finally, I love it when movies references good films! It saves me from having to reference them, but here goes.

A Touch of Evil: One of the characters is watching the famous tracking shot on TV-- a must see.

Star Wars: Certainly doesn't need my help. Moving on...

Time Bandits: A really fun Terry Gilliam film. This one deserves a watch.

Sunset Blvd: Not an all out reference per se, but when you use a device that has been coined in this movie, you can't not draw the comparison.

If you recognize the cast, most of them are in the Harry Potter movies-- apart from Colin Farrell, who, to be fair, I haven't given him much of a chance since what I have seen him in hasn't been good.

I should be getting my new movie in the mail in a few days, but in the meantime, I think I have a few streaming movies to watch (legally via Netflix) whose license to stream expires soon. Look forward to that.

Here's where I pretend to almost forget to tell you about the blog ground rules. And there it went.

1: I don't want this to be a traditional movie review sites, they are a dime a dozen. I'll tell you if I liked a movie I saw and why, but I'll give you movies that are similar to the one I am reviewing so that you will have an idea if you would like it or not.

2: Not everyone likes all movies, but I would like to prevent you from seeing crap when I can by suggesting what to watch-- ergo my watchthisnothat URL.

3: Then when I have enough readers, I want to use my patented mind control device to turn you into my slaves.

4: That last one was less of a rule, and more of an overarching plan for world domination.

Coming up next: Whip It!

No comments:

Post a Comment